Saturday, January 31, 2015

For my Readers Advisory class our teacher has asked us to look up a couple of "what-ifs."  What if a patron expressed a certain desire in a book?  What would suggestions would you make using Novelist.  Novelist is a database that some libraries have available to help readers when they get stuck--some even have it available to the public who hold library cards.  There is also a novelist just for kids--for those of you have youngsters or know some youngsters.


Below are the answers that I gave to the questions she asked:


  • I looked on Novelist for the fourth book in the Anita Blake series.  The fourth book is The Lunatic Café.  If you would like to know the fifth book--just in case--it is Bloody Bones.
  •   If you enjoyed Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver, you might like Anthill by Edward Wilson.  It has some of the same features such as the lyrical use of language but it also has some suspense, which might move the story along faster.
  • You might enjoy The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet by David Mitchell.  It is set in 1799 in Nagasaki Harbor.  According to Novelist it is “richly detailed.”
  • If you liked Well-Schooled in Murder by Elizabeth George, you might also like the other books by George.  Well-Schooled in Murder is actually the third book in a series with the character Thomas Lynley.  So, if you want to back track book 1 is A Great Deliverance and book 2 is Payment in Blood.  If you want to take off from three and not look back For the Sake of Elena is book 4.  If you want to try a different author A Possibility of Violence by D. A. Mishani has many of the same appeals except it isn’t as violent as Well-Schooled.
  • For a read-alike for Walking Dead you can try Rise Again by Ben Tripp or Escape by James Melzer. If he really enjoyed World War Z then Blackout by Mira Grant and Gone-away World by Nick Harkaway are also apocalyptical in nature.

For my personal reading searches, I often find books as I am working at the library and if I don't have time to read them any time soon--I put them on my list of "to read" at Goodreads.  But, sometimes, I look through Goodreads and see what my friends are reading and what they say about the books they are reading.  


2 comments:

  1. I find Goodreads to be a wonderful way to track what I read and find new things to read. (That's both a blessing and a curse, since I like to read out of so many different genres - it's easy to get overwhelmed by things I want to read!) It can also be a pretty good place to find the answer to question one, about the next book in a series.

    Authors' websites are also a great spot to find series information (including e-book-only novellas, which are popular in my favorite genre, romance), and they usually have some extra information that readers will like. For example, romance author Stephanie Laurens has written a lot of books featuring the Cynster family, and her website includes a Cynster family tree (http://www.stephanielaurens.com/the-cynster-family-tree/). AND, it correlates to all of the books, so you know which couples get together in which books. Some of them also have good information about how they come up with their characters, their writing process, and more. I like the extra information on Meg Cabot's website (http://www.megcabot.com/).

    Jenny, http://bookforeveryreader.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also a huge fan of Goodreads and use it frequently. I think it is a great tool not only to keep track of what I want to read, but also to help steer patrons toward items they might find appealing. I always recommend it to avid readers I come across. I also use it to keep in touch with friends by reading the same books that we can discuss later.

    ReplyDelete