Saturday, March 28, 2015

Week 11 Writing Prompt

For this weeks writing prompt we were asked about the ebook and audiobook experience. What do you prefer: physical books, ebooks, or audiobooks? Here's what I think . . .
Courtesy of MorgueFile.com
I really enjoy having a book in my hand as part of the experience.  It becomes an intimate experience while touching the pages and breathing in the smell.  If you read a scene and it makes you question a previous scene, a reader can flip back to approximately the location where it was read.  Another benefit is the ability to loan and borrow from friends a book they read or you read that they other “Just has to read.” It’s also nice to know if I am going to be able to finish the chapter in the time I have available before I start the chapter.  However, necessity is the mother of invention or alteration.  

This last winter when it was too cold to go out or because the library was closed, ebooks became a very good friend for myself and my children.  Also, if I want to read a book or cannot find time to get to the site of its location and I don’t want to wait for it to transfer, it’s much quicker to get an ebook.  When I was laid up with back pain, it was great to be able to check it out without having to ask for someone to pick it up for me.  It’s a great conversation starter also.  With curious kids wondering why I am looking at my tablet and no movie is playing they wonder what I am reading--that is, when they know the semester is done.

For an ebook, it seems absolutely necessary to adjust the font and background lighting before I feel comfortable reading it.  Books, there is no glare at night or in the day. I pretty much can open it and go.  

Audio books are a new phenomenon for me as well.  Last summer, I was spending a lot of time on the road taking kids to various places for their activities. My son picked up an audio book for his listening pleasure and I decided to see what he was listening to: Wings of Fire: The Dragonet Prophecy By Tui T. Sutherland, read by Shannon McMannus.  Kaite Mediatore, in “Reading with Your Ears,” stated, “narration changes and intensifies every element of a book’s appeal . . .  How well a narrator adopts different accents or pitches in voice to distinguish between characters is a necessary element to the audio book” (319).  I was hoping she would actually continue to read the Wings of Fire series.  Imagine my disappointment.  I missed my turn a couple of times listening to her read the first book.

Ebooks and audiobooks are a great addition to the physical copies of books.  But, I don’t want the physical books to disappear.  All of these formats are beneficial in some form. Balance is the key.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't even think of the option to loan the book out when I was considering this week's prompt. I can't believe I didn't think of it, because sharing my books is one of my favorite things about reading them. Reading a wonderful book, then handing it over to someone to share the feelings I had. The best thing ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Cindy, good call on being able to borrow books. My mom, sister, and I have very similar tastes in books and often, one of us will buy a book and pass it around until we've all read it. It's not the same as e-books!

    I totally agree with your final statement, though: "All of these formats are beneficial in some form. Balance is key." It really depends on what you want to get out of your reading experience and what you prefer!

    ReplyDelete