Thursday, February 19, 2015

Week 6 Annotation: Gentle Read

Author: Nicholas Sparks
Title: The Longest Ride
Genre: Gentle/Romance
Publication Date: 2013
Number of Pages: 398
Geographical Setting: North Carolina
Time Period:  1940 - 2011

Plot Summary: Two couples.  Two generations.  Discovering what real love is.  Ira has crashed his car during the middle of a snow storm at the age of 91.  His car is off an embankment and cannot be easily seen.  While he waits for help or death he visits with his wife who died 9 years ago and coaches him through surviving because he has “something left to do.” Four months prior to Ira’s accident, Luke and Sophia meet because Luke intervenes between an ex-boyfriend’s rage and Sophia’s fear.  Luke and Sophia become fast friends and discover how easy it is to fall in love.  But, there are secrets in the way.  Will Luke and Sophia be able to trust each other and overcome difficulties that threaten to tear them apart?  Will Ira be able to live long enough to accomplish what his wife says he needs to do? How do these two relationships connect?

What makes it a Gentle Read?
* Simple story line
* Story line is about the relationships of characters
* No explicit sex or violence

Appeal:
Pacing--Comfortable and leisurely
Tone--Touching with both traditional and modern nuances
Characterization--Ordinary people with realistic problems to overcome together.

Similar Authors and Works (why are they similar?):

One Summer
by David Baldacci
~Heart rending and
Family Relationships
Sea Change
by Karen White
~Love Story and
Leisurely paced
Where the River Ends
by Charles Martin
~Tug at your heart strings
real love
strengthening marriage



3 comments:

  1. Thank you for your annotation! I'm not a fan of gentle reads, and I dislike Nicholas Sparks in particular, but a lot of people love his books and I'm always glad to get a feel for what his books are about and what other books people can read that feel like his books. This is especially timely because a movie version of "The Longest Ride" comes out in April, and before and after seeing the movie I'm sure people will want to read the book and others like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a very nice synopsis. I don't gravitate toward gentle reads, but you made me want to read this one! I also liked the simplicity of your explanation of what makes a gentle read. Short sentences set in bulletin points. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just started this book! I really enjoyed your annotation. I am only one chapter in but after reading your review, I think I'll stick with it. I could use a leisurely, relaxing read. Plus I am very curious to see how the two relationships intersect.

    ReplyDelete