Friday, February 6, 2015

Week 4: Readers Advisory Experience

Yesterday morning, I ventured out incognito.  For the Readers Advisory class I am in, we were asked to go to a library where we are not known.  While there we were to ask for help in finding a book to read.

I never expected to be nervous!  I am a natural introvert.  This combined with

  • feeling false because I thought I knew how to find something to read for myself, 
  • being in a "foreign land," and 
  • being worried at possibly being left high and dry, 
left me feeling shaky and wary.

When I really think about it, I guess that is how some of our patrons feel about it.  They don't know us when they first meet with us.  They are feeling like they are in a foreign land. And, there are people who are not go getters. For them, reading is a solitary and sometimes intimate relationship.

I feel much better as the librarian.

I went with the expectation and hope of finding a good mystery to curl up with.

First, when I walked into the library, I searched and found the "Adult Fiction" area and decided to walk through the stacks.  This was in part to build up my nerve and in part to see if librarians in this branch were roving librarians.  When no one was there and I had acclimated myself to the situation, I approached the reference desk.

The desk was manned by two ladies.  I approached the one that didn't seem engaged in another task, and asked if she knew of any good mysteries she could recommend.  She didn't think she did, and then asked the other librarian if she had any ideas.

This librarian, I will call her Gem, said, "It depends on what you like."  I thought that was going to be it.  I must have looked worried, because I told her that it had been a long time since I had read any adult mysteries.  Which is true.  I can't remember the last time I read an adult mystery.  I usually read teen books.

She got up from her desk and guided me over to the mystery section while making me feel at ease with light banter about what I enjoy in a book. I expressed my desire to not have any of the gory details and sexual happenings.  We looked at the mystery books together.

Gem knows her stuff when it comes to mysteries.





She referred to "cozy" mysteries, which don't have the gory details or sexual content.  She referred to the murder being peripheral.  It happened, but the scene is not the focus.


She referred to "cute" mysteries, which can pretty much be judged by the cover.  These covers have animals or food on the cover.







We talked about series and stand alones. When we settled on a couple of different authors she took me back to the desk.  Our goal was to find out what was series and what wasn't.  To find out what series books were first and if they were available in the stacks.

I stood on the other side of the counter wondering what she was doing--though I had an idea since I have been there before.  So, I rounded the corner just enough to see she was on the catalog for the library.  I asked if the serials were numbered in the catalog.  She said not always.

Gem then introduced a new site to me: fantasticfiction.co.uk . . . This website allows you to put in either title or author.  From there it will let you know the numerical order of the titles or if there are stand alones by that author.  I have linked it at work now.  I see it being very useful.

I left with 6 books in tow.  I wanted to stock up for two reasons: 1) I have something to choose from in case one or more of the books are not what I am looking for - and - 2) just in case we get another bout of rough weather--which I am almost tempted to pray for so I have time to read--ALMOST, but not really.

Gem, is aptly named, if I do say so myself, and I am not bored.  Mission Accomplished and I survived.



9 comments:

  1. I had the same thoughts as I went into the library that I chose for the readers' advisory. I was nervous and kinda terrified that I would have a bad experience. I had a good experience though much like you. I am not sure that the librarian that helped me had RA training but she did help me to find a couple of books. I am glad that you got so many books to read and hopefully one of them works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you had a great experience with a patron oriented librarian or staff member. What a difference the person helping you can make! If I had to guess, Gem could probably assist finding any genre of book. I like and use FantasticFiction to decipher the sequence of books in series and it gives a vague idea of similar authors. I would enjoy a snow day or two to read! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the website fantasticfiction. I was not aware of it.
    At my home library, the librarians tend to turn the screen so that the patron can see what is going on while they are looking for a book. The desks the librarians sit behind are designed in such a way that this is easy to achieve. The reference and information desk where I went for the secret shopping experience had a lower desk and then a ridge on the patron side which made it very difficult to turn the screen.
    One of the things I remember from Reference 101 with Chris Marshall is that he told us to talk to the patron as you are doing things so that patron is not wondering what is going on like you were wondering.
    Glad your experience was positive. Gem knows her stock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also felt so strange going into a different library and acting like I didn't know how to find something to read. I'm glad that the first staff member you spoke to found another coworker who could help you. Many staff members use Fantastic Fiction at my library. I need to browse the site more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started my journey into the library in much the same way as you did. I was very apprehensive about doing this assignment and felt awkward about going to ask for suggestions of a book to read and many other patrons probably feel this same way. I also scouted out the library some getting up my nerve to approach the reference desk. The librarian I worked with also lead me to Lilian Jackson Braun and JoAnne Fluke when he asked about how gory the last mystery I read was, and I said not too gory. He described these books as whimsical to me and also guided me to these without the assistance of a database. I’m glad you had a good experience like I did and were able to find another resource to use for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have used Fantastic Fiction on a number of occasions to help patrons find books and it is a great website. Sounds like you had a really good interaction and "Gem" definitely knows her stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the way you posted pictures of the books and of the desk at the library you visited. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cindy, I am sorry. I forgot to put the attribution on the photo. It is a generic photo I found on Morguefile.com. There are people in this class that work at the library I went to; though, I was able to sneak in without them knowing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know what you meant about feeling false! When I did this assignment I felt extremely guilty and had to bite my tongue back from telling on myself. But I am so glad that I didn't. I was able to gain so much more perspective and ended up having a really positive experience!

    ReplyDelete